Mental Health

Housing and mental health are often linked. Poor mental health can make it harder to cope with housing problems, while being homeless or having problems in your home can make your mental health worse.

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness, the council will be able to offer you an appointment for a full assessment of your circumstances please click here to complete our self-referral form on our homelessness advice page.  We will work together with you, and any support agencies, to prevent you from becoming homeless.  If your homelessness cannot be prevented we will offer you help to resolve your homelessness situation. 


It is important that you not only seek advice regarding your housing situation, but that you access support and treatment for your mental health.  

Below are some agencies that can offer you advice and support, as well as your GP:

  • Adult Mental Health Wellbeing team

    If you are experiencing mental health difficulties and you need support, you can self-refer to Essex County Council’s Adult Mental Health Wellbeing team.   They should be able to support you to develop a plan to resolve any issues or challenges you may be experiencing that are linked to your mental health difficulties.

    Tel: 03330 322958

  • Health in Mind provides access to a wide range of talking therapy treatments for adults with common mental health problems in and around Colchester and Tendring.

  • Mind is a mental health charity that provides advice and support to anyone experiencing a mental health problem.


  • NHS offers a range of advice and guidance including mental wellbeing audio guides.
    Every Mind Matters and the NHS main website

    If you feel you need to talk to someone about your mental health or you are looking for more support for someone else, we would urge you to speak to a GP and seek out mental health support delivered by charities or the NHS. 

  • Adult Social Care

If you find it very difficult to look after yourself (for example if your mental health problem makes it hard for you to cook, clean your home or pay for utilities), then you may be entitled to get help in your home from the Adult Social Care Team at Essex County Council. 

Tel: 0345 603 7630

Last updated on: 25/11/2021 - 14:16