Leaving Care

If you are a young person leaving care, your personal adviser can provide advice and support in planning where you will live in the future. This forms part of the 'pathway plan' they will have agreed with you looking at all aspects of your future. There are a number of options available, such as supported accommodation, sharing with friends, having your own tenancy and halls of residence if you are going to University. Your personal adviser should also help you with application forms for housing, benefits, and education and/or training courses. They should also help you with learning life skills, like how to budget.

Your personal adviser should stay in contact with you and provide ongoing support and help until you turn 21 or until your 25th birthday if you are still studying full time. If you are 16 or 17 years old and you are under the local authorities care, your social worker will be responsible for finding you somewhere to live until you turn 18.

If you are homeless or threatened with homelessness, the council will be able to offer you an appointment for a full assessment of your circumstances please click here to complete our self-referral form on our homelessness advice page. We will work together with you, and any support agencies, to prevent you from becoming homeless.  If your homelessness cannot be prevented we will offer you help to resolve your homelessness situation.  

Last updated on: 01/04/2020 - 17:07