Making improvements to your home

If you are a secure tenant you have the right to improve your home, as long as you get our written permission first. An improvement means an alteration or addition to your home and includes the following:

  • installing any new or replacement fixtures or fittings, such as heating or kitchen units;
  • installing satellite dishes or aerials; and
  • putting up fencing.

If you have an introductory or non secure tenancy, you do not have the right to carry out any improvements or alterations to your home.

If you have a secure tenancy and decide that you want to improve your home, use our online application form giving full details of the work that you want to do.

Even if you have our permission as landlord, you still need to get any necessary planning permission or building regulations approval for the work. We will only refuse permission if we have a good reason for doing so.

We normally aim to contact you within 28 days of receiving your request to arrange an inspection or to let you know our decision.

You must not make any alterations until you have received our written permission, which will also tell you what conditions you need to keep to.

You may be able to claim compensation for any improvements you have made when your tenancy ends. 

Application for permission to alter your home

Last updated on: 07/10/2022 - 11:17