Council Housing Rent Arrears

If you are having difficulty paying your rent, you should contact the Rent Control Section as soon as possible. Our officers are here to help you and will be able to advise you about local housing allowance and any other benefits you may be able to claim.

If you are in arrears, we can arrange for you to repay your debt in manageable instalments that suit your own budget. If you keep to the arrangement to reduce your arrears, we will not take any further action against you.

However, we do not accept non-payment of rent. This means that, if necessary, we will take legal action to ensure that rent is paid. This could eventually lead to your eviction. If we do have to take court action against you, we will add our court costs to your debt.

Please remember that your home is at risk if you do not pay your rent. Even if your rent is paid by local housing allowance, it is still your responsibility to make sure that the rent is paid.

You might find our "debt advice leaflet" useful by following this link.

If you are a former Council tenant and you left your rented property without paying your rent account in full, Tendring District Council will continue to take action to recover the debt. If an agreement is not made to pay off the debt this may affect any future application for social housing accommodation.

Last updated on: 22/02/2018 - 09:43