Finding a planning agent to help you make your application

If you are struggling to prepare your application or need specialist advice, we advise you to employ the services of a good agent to assist you in making your planning application. The majority of planning applications will involve some degree of draftsmanship where good design will be essential to the outcome. Regrettably, we cannot recommend agents. Agents vary greatly in the type of projects they specialise in, and in their qualifications and abilities. You can find them in the telephone directory or online. Common searches include; 'Architectural Agent', 'Architects', 'Planning Agent', 'Planning Consultant' etc.

It is important to note that the term 'architect' is a protected title in the UK. Only a person registered with the Architects Registration Board can be called an architect. Businesses describing themselves as 'architectural agents' or similar do not necessarily employ qualified architects. Similarly, the use of the word 'planning' into a company's name does not necessarily indicate that they employ qualified planners. The professional body for the planning is the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI). Professionals accredited to this body will usually have the letters MRTPI or FRTPI after their name (please see meanings of professional qualifications).

Last updated on: 22/05/2017 - 14:25