Adapting your home

Often, quite simple aids or adaptations will help those with special needs to continue living an independent life in their existing home. The type of adaptations we may be able to carry out include:

  • fixing handrails or grabrails;
  • installing stair lifts (where appropriate);
  • building ramps;
  • removing door thresholds; and
  • installing level-access showers (i.e. no step).

If you, or a member of your household, would benefit from your property being adapted, you should contact Essex County Council, Social Services (0345 6037630) and ask to speak to an Occupational Therapist. They will discuss your request with you and, if necessary, arrange to visit you at home to decide what needs to be done. If they agree that your home should be adapted, they will make a recommendation to us and we will then check that you qualify for major adaptations. How long you then have to wait will depend on the type of work, the number of others waiting to have their homes adapted, and the amount of money available.

For minor adaptations such as grab rails, kitchen lever taps, flashing doorbells etc, our Adaptations & Special Needs officer in Operational Services (Private Sector Housing) may be able to help and you can contact us by filling in this online form or emailing

Useful Links

Essex County Council information and advice

Adaptations Policy

Last updated on: 21/04/2022 - 11:18