Apply for Tendring's Flood Support Scheme

Repair and Renew Grant, Business Rate Relief and Council Tax Rebate

As part of the Government’s Flood Support Schemes, the Repair and Renew Grant (RRG) was launched in April 2014 along with Business Rate Relief and Council Tax Rebates. 

These schemes are administered by Tendring District Council.  They apply to property flooded and damaged between 1 December 2013 and 31 March 2014.   

Repair and Renew Grants will provide flood damaged homes and business premises with up to £5,000 of grant funding to provide qualifying measures to reduce the risk of future flooding, or minimise the potential damage from any future flooding. The damage must have affected internal areas of the property.

One hundred percent (100%) Business Rate relief will be provided for three months for internally flood damaged premises, regardless of how long the property was flooded.

Council Tax Rebates will be available for the reasonable period that a property was flooded and uninhabitable.

All properties flooded between the 1 December 2013 and 31 March 2014 are eligible for support.

Repair and Renew Grants

These are grants of up to £5000 (inclusive of VAT) for home owners, private landlords or businesses whose property has been damaged internally by flooding between 1st December 2013 and 31st March 2014.

Static caravans and chalets are only included where year round occupancy is permitted.

Second homes, holiday caravans, beach huts are, unfortunately, not included.

What is included? 

Qualifying work to prevent future flooding (resistance measures), and work to make a building better able to withstand future flooding (resilience measures).  A list of work allowed under the scheme is included in the application form.

Your property must have been damaged internally by the flooding.  For businesses, the damage must have been critical to day to day operations (storage sheds and warehouses are not eligible). 

You must not have received other sources of public or insurance funding for the same measures.

How does it work?

You can apply to the Council using the Application Form, downloadable from the useful documents area of the page, or available from Clacton Town Hall, Station Road, Clacton- on -Sea, CO15 1SE.  You will need to list the works you intend to carry out and provide two estimates.  You will need to show that you are the property owner and hence eligible to claim.

If you are not sure what is needed at your property you can use the online tool on the Property Protect Advice website.  You enter your property details and it lists suitable works :

Work listed from this website will qualify for Repair and Renew Grant.  The Council will approve the reasonable costs of carrying out the work up to a limit of £5000. 

You can also apply if you have already carried out the work you needed, and it is included in the work listed in the Application Form.  You will need the receipts and invoices to claim.  The Council will pay the reasonable cost of qualifying works.  

If you wish, you can employ a surveyor or other professional to advise on works, with a maximum surveyor fee payable under the grant of £500 (as part of the £5000 maximum).

The Council is also happy to support joint applications to install common protective measures.  For instance, where a group of property or business owners would like to work together, to establish a more appropriate solution (based on a contribution of up to £5,000 per property).

Business Rate Relief

Businesses are eligible to claim this relief for three months, where there was damage from flooding and between 1 December 2013 and 31 March 2014.  The business must have been significantly and adversely affected.

The 3 months relief will apply irrespective of how long the flooding or adverse business impact lasted.  You can apply to the Council using the same Application Form found in the useful documents area of the page.   

Council Tax Rebate

If you are a householder whose house was flooded between 1 December 2013 and 31 March 2014 you may be eligible for a discount from Council Tax.

The scheme allows for a discount from Council Tax for the reasonable period the property was flooded and unavailable for use.  You can apply to the Council using the same application Form found in the useful documents area of the page.

Useful documents

Flood Scheme - Additional Guidance

Flood Scheme - Application Form

Last updated on: 09/06/2019 - 16:30