Who to contact in an emergency

Only dial 999 if you require Police, Fire, Ambulance or Coastguard, and then only if you wish to report an immediate threat to life or property or if you suspect a crime. 

For help in other emergency situations, contact the appropriate organisation listed below. Remember that you will get a quicker response if you contact the right organisation first time.

Essex PoliceIn an emergency dial 999 and ask for Police
Non emergency police numberSimply dial 101


Doctor and Dentist

If your normal surgery is closed your call will be transferred, or you will be given another number to call to reach someone standing in for your GP or Dentist

NHS 111

If you are not sure what to do about a health problem you can call this 24 hour helpline for advice by dialling 111
It is staffed by trained health advisors and qualified nurses.

Prescriptions and Medicines

Pharmacists operate a rota system, look in your local paper for their opening times.


For gas emergencies only: 0800 111 999


For supply problems and emergencies only: 0800 316 3105

From UK landlines or mobiles you can call 105. 
(not appliance failures!)

Water emergencies

Anglian Water: 08457 145145
Tendring Hundred Water: 01206 399200

Essex Social Services

Emergency only: 01245 434083

Tendring District Council Out of Hours "CARELINE" service

For Council services out of hours: Careline: 01255 222022

Environment Agency

24 hour emergency hotline: 0800 80 70 60
General enquires about the agency: 0845 933 3111
Floodline: 0845 988 1188

Essex Traveline

For Bus, Rail and Fare information: 0870 608 2608

Missing PeopleHelpline number 116 000 for both call and text
Email 116000@missingpeople.org.uk
Last updated on: 29/10/2021 - 13:36