What is Hate crime?
A hate crime is “any criminal offence which is perceived by the victim, or any other person, to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person’s actual or perceived race, religion/faith, sexual orientation, disability, or transgender identity”.
- Race (e.g. skin colour, ethnicity, citizenship)
- Religion (e.g. faith, atheism, targeting religious premises)
- Sexual Orientation (e.g. gay, bisexual, pansexual)
- Transgender identity (e.g. transgender, agender, demi-gender)
- Disability (e.g. learning needs, mental health, physical impairment)
Hate crime can take many forms:
- Physical attack, damage to property, offensive graffiti, arson
- Threat of attack, offensive letters or e-mails, abusive phone calls, offensive leaflets & posters, malicious complaints
- Verbal abuse, insults, intimidation, abusive gestures, bullying at school or in the workplace
Reporting Hate Crime
If you are a victim of hate crime, or know of someone who is, please report it!
Essex police: Essex Police - Report hate crime
HIRC (Hate Crime Incident Reporting Centre) - Tendring Mental Health Support
Summit House, 14-16 Orwell Road, Clacton on Sea, CO15 1PP
Tel: 01255 429778
Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm
HIRC lead: Gaynor Jarrett Gaynor.email@example.com
Specialist provision: Learning Disabilities and Mental Health.
Help and Advice
Clacton - Divisional HQ
Non-emergency - 101 Emergency - 999
Tel: 0808 178 1694
A national charity with trained volunteers to contact people following a crime to offer a free confidential support and information.
Tacmep - Tendring & Colchester Minority Ethnic Partnership
Tel: 01206 769789 and 01206 500471
Address: TACMEP, Winsleys House, High Street, Colchester, Essex. CO1 1UG
Seeking to promote and develop a better understanding of the minority ethnic communities in Tendring. They act as a conduit for local statutory bodies in consulting and engaging minority ethnic communities in the delivery of services.
Tel: 01206 871 394
Address: Outhouse East, 19 East Hill, Colchester, Essex, CO1 2QX
A charity to support LGBTQ+ people in Essex including free specialist counselling and hate crime reporting. They also signpost to more specific supporting charities.